Regulations Regarding Sanitary Bin Services
Providing your staff and customers with a discreet and hygienic place to dispose of feminine hygiene waste is not only crucial to maintaining a clean and pleasant washroom environment, it’s also a legal requirement.
A lot of people are unaware of this, but as a business, you need to apply the sanitary waste disposal regulations in your business.
These regulations cover the following:
- The Workplace (Health, Safety and Welfare) Regulations 1992
- The Water Industries Act 1991
- The Environmental Protection Act 1990
There is strict legislation surrounding this with fines of up to £20,000 or even Imprisonment for businesses that are proven to be contaminating and blocking the mains.
Do we need to provide sanitary bins?
If you have female employees, or if women from other companies visit your premises, you need to provide sanitary waste disposal bins and they should ideally be placed in accessible places such as the W.C. cubicle.
The Duty of Care Act states that any sanitary waste must be managed to the point of disposal. This means that neither you or any of your employees can dispose of the contents of the bins. Only a licenced carrier can do this and a full audit trail of documentation must be available at all times. As previously mentioned failure to comply with this can lead to a large fine or even imprisonment.
Why do we need to provide sanitary waste disposal?
The Water Industries Act states that sanitary waste which can cause harm to a sewer or drain should not be flushed. As well as having disastrous consequences to the environment, putting sanitary waste into the toilet can result in expensive drain clearing bills.
Sanitary towels and tampons are not biodegradable which means that when they’re flushed, they will pollute the water and waste system and may even end up on beaches. As you can imagine flushing sanitary waste is incredibly bad for the environment and if sanitary bins aren’t provided, the only option for the user is to put them into the toilet.
Finally, The Environmental Act imposes a Duty of Care on organisations that produce, keep or dispose of sanitary waste. This means that providing the right facilities is mandatory.
Where can we get sanitary bins?
The Vastum Group Ltd provide a range of sanitary disposal bins along with a reliable collection service. This ensures you can dispose of your sanitary waste safely and in an environmentally-friendly manner whilst ensuring your business remains complaint with UK regulations.
If you would like more information about current sanitary disposal regulations or would like to know more about any of the services we offer, please feel free to contact us and we will be more than happy to help.
Call us now on 01638 815464 or send us a request for a quote and we will get back to you within the hour. Or you can email us on firstname.lastname@example.org
Why choose us
Here’s what you’ll get from us…
- Brand new equipment including a foot pedal operated sanitary bin – This means a no touch user experience.
- A liner exchange service which means you won’t have someone else’s scuffed and damaged bin after each service call.
- Free of charge Duty of Care notes means you won’t get surprised by hidden extras at the end of the year.
- All waste is incinerated in a waste to energy plant which means you’ll be helping our environment by not having your waste land-filled.
- No long-term contract to sign – Just a yearly service agreement with easy exit terms.
- A 90 Day money back guarantee - Should you not be absolutely delighted with any aspect of our services you’ll get your money back.
- One to one point of contact – Should there ever be any queries, you can contact us directly and we will resolve them.
- 100% proven service record to all of our clients.